Many businesses wonder if they should do Facebook ads. Ad click-through rates are notoriously low; not just on Facebook, but all over the internet. Facebook gave themselves an edge through their targeting. You could really specify who saw your ad, and that would increase the likelihood that users would click it. But the tool was still limited on ROI.
Facebook has unrolled some new metrics for ads that will give a much better report on what your conversions really are.
The old ads told you:
- how many impressions your ad received
- How many clicks it received
- The click through rate (CTR)
- The social CTR- which means the CTR for people who had friends who were fans of the page. The element of social proof tends to give a higher CTR than ads without social proof.
The new ads tell you:
- Reach- the number of unique users who view the ad.
- Frequency – the number of times a single user views an ad.
- Social Reach – the number of people who saw the ad with a friend’s picture or name connected to the ad.
- Connections- social actions taken by a user within 24 hours of seeing an ad. This means Liking a page, installing an application or RSVP’ing for an event.
- Audience Funnel- showing you how many users within the ad’s targeting have seen the ad, and how many times. This will help you to know if it is time to change the ad’s creative content.
- Clicks & Connections: shows you the link between the people seeing the ad and how many people are clicking it. This is designed to help you know if you are actually targeting the right users – those that convert.
The new metrics allow you to really ensure your ads are targeted properly and getting you the best results. They will allow you to know what your ROI is, beyond someone clicking the link. This will make determining the ROI of your ads much easier. It will also help you make your ads a lot more effective.